Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Chocolate Notes

Chocolate Notes

OK, chocolate is good, I admit it. One time I thought it would be a great job being a chocolate tester. “Now let’s see. This # 1 here is a very good chocolate. Number 2 is good too. I like # 3 a lot but it is about as good as 2. Four is excellent but so is 1. Five is especially good and tastes a lot like 3 which was good like 2.”
I didn’t get the job but I did get full.
Have you noticed that even if you stop eating chocolate you don’t lose weight? Lack of chocolate is not a diet, per se. Eating too much will usually make your pants shrink but not eating chocolate is not a diet in itself. This presents some insurmountable problems for many very nice people, among which I am one.
Also there is etiquette to consider. Like which wine would you serve with chocolate truffles? If there is white chocolate would you serve a light wine? Would burgundy go with brownies? Would you have sherry with chocolate cake? If you serve chocolate bourbon balls is that with ice? Chocolate can be quite confusing for the up-to-date host or hostess.
And how about chocolate pudding? If you make that with whole milk and ignored the sugar, is that enough for dinner? What fruit might complement the pudding if it were? Strawberries come to mind frequently when I ponder this problem which I often do.
Now some folks try to substitute things for chocolate. Carob is often sold to trick people. HA, I say. Don’t be fooled. Its nasty at best and if you ARE ignoring the sugar you might as well ignore it in REAL chocolate as some mealy substitute. Another supposed substitute for chocolate is love. Hmmmmmmmmm. Well, its like the first paragraph. They are both good. Are you then unfaithful to your mate if you eat chocolate? Or to chocolate if you have a mate? Is it bigamy in either case?
Well, there is lots to think about with chocolate and I won’t finish it all in one note. There will be more chocolate notes and I thank you for your patience. The next note may be from Hershey, Pennsylvania. I am considering a move.
PS If you eat too much dark chocolate, Fiber Will Make You Free is a handy post to heed. They don't call milk chocolate, baby chocolate, for nothing.

Copyright 2007 by Robin Hall

No comments: