Monday, February 26, 2007

Day of Grace

Today was my birthday. It went splendidly which is rare for someone with long term depression. Fine weather. My car was fixed very quickly. My external CDrw arrived and actually worked. I got eCards from each of my 4 friends. I smiled more than usual and I wanted to share a piece I wrote the first time this happened. These days ARE rare. They are remembered and cherished.


Day of Grace


A few weeks ago I had a day of grace. For me it was as if the weight of the world, my life, was lifted up. I felt lighter. The day went quickly. I wrote. Everything was more interesting. I sang a song, danced and smiled. There was no sadness or pain, it was a day of grace.

There were no rituals to perform either and I could not MAKE it happen again but I can remember it and next time I will try to accept it as a gift I give myself perhaps or a gift I am given.

I have observed that religious people with all their rituals, some aimed at making more days of grace I am sure, are on the whole no more happy than non-religious ones. They are not more likely to have days of grace than another.

Perhaps we should just not worry too much about them, stop trying to make them happen and they will come more often? Time will tell, as in all things. I will return to this in a later note I am sure.



copyright 2007 by
Robin Hall

No comments: