Friday, July 27, 2007

Corporate Greed 3: Guarantees

Corporate Greed 3: Guarantees
by
Robin Hall


Words used to mean something I think. Someone says, "I guarantee," he or she meant it. Some folks took this responsibility seriously. Some were less serious.

Today most guarantees seem meaningless.

Take a single example, fans, Patton fans. My last purchase of an Industrial Grade model cost about $30 at a local HugeMart. The box clearly listed a 10 year warranty for the 20" model.

Not so long ago the box listed a 25 year warranty which Patton actually honored.

The trick these days is that the fine print is in the manual in the box. I could read it if there is a problem but only after opening the box.

Sure, the HugeMart would take it back within a month or so and in this HugeMarts are honorable and consistent. I appreciate this.

I didn't read the new warranty manual. I should have and then taken the fan back because about 13 months after purchase the fan died and I was left with a large paper weight.

You see, while the fan was guaranteed for 10 years, the warranty stated that I must pay two way shipping to the factory. Cost? About $30.

This seems like one of the more clear cut instances of corporate greed I know of so far but I will keep looking.

No comments: