Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Getting Old Stinks

Getting Old Stinks
by
Robin Hall, age 62


I have written several notes on getting old and this is another. Its almost a tautology, sort of, maybe.

The thing in my family that was just wrong was that no one prepared ME to get old. There were no OLD lessons. No one wanted to mention what they were going through.

This was wrong. We need lessons on moving through the stages of life. We don't usually get lessons. This stinks.

Anyway, when I was young I observed old folks all around me. I observed my own family's members.

Observed. I had no understanding of what they were going through. Now I do.

It stinks and literally at times. Just wait till you poo your pants in public the first time. It stinks, its embarrassing and you will NEVER get over it even if it never happens again.

For me, the first understandings of getting old included pain from arthritis. It took longer to wake up, longer to prepare to go outside.

There was less hair and what was left was the wrong color. My knees hurt too and there were odd pains that came and went.

There are now stomach pains, other aches and my shoes don't seem to fit. I don't see as well. I don't care as much about anything.

Did you know that old folks can be really alone? Yes, no friends or family to visit with. None to tend to them / us when this is needed?

Do you have even the slightest clue how much insurance costs that would actually pay for good senior care / assisted living? You start when you are 22, put in $400 a month till you are 63 and MAYBE you will earn decent care but just maybe.

The monthly rental amount for assisted living in this area ranges upward from $2500 and that is not a private room.

I have nothing more to add here. Getting old stinks.

No comments: