Wednesday, May 2, 2007

5 2 7

5 2 7
by
Robin Hall

Spread my ashes in a garbage dump, write my epitaph in the sand, "Here lies no one. He had champagne tastes and a beer belly."

Movies, movies, movies.

Well here is a movie to see, Sherrybaby. If you are older than 45 you MIGHT recall Frankie Valli's song Sherry. Maybe its related, maybe not.

Sherrybaby is dreary. Its about drug abuse AFTER child abuse followed by prison time and... Isn't that just it, all the ands?

Its almost about hope and redemption but that implies blame at some level.

Truth. Maybe not your truth and don't show this movie to children and its NOT a date movie but there is truth here. Maggie Gyllenhaal tells the TRUTH when she is on the screen, truth about the characters she IS. Watch her for this truth.

I wish this flick was fun. Its not. I would only recommend it to one of my friends who seeks truth at times. TRUTH is in this film.

Yesterday, I didn't feel so bad. I watched another film with truth, The Station Agent. Truth. No bombs, dystopic futures or todays. Just truth in film making. Or maybe I just liked it.

No comments: