Monday, May 14, 2007

Perfection

Perfection
by
Robin Hall


I looked this word up on google which led to answers.com's reference to the American Heritage Dictionary definition. I preferred the 4th definition, but that's just me. "An instance of excellence."

Next I looked up perfect. LOTS of choices here too. I liked # 8 "Excellent and delightful in all respects: a perfect day."

My choices of the definitions are what I am discussing here and are what I was pondering before I looked the words up.

Say we watch a movie and we think its perfect. Maybe others don't agree but who cares? Maybe we "rate" it among our very favorites OR realize the quality of the flick. We can say its a perfect movie. An instance for me is Hud. Not a very favorite emotionally but it IS perfect.

Another film, Broken Trail. Well, for me, its perfect. A fine star giving us his best. Its perfect and its among MY FAVORITES.

TV. Boston Legal; Star Trek, Next and MASH are all perfect, for me. I am pleased to have found each of them.

Photography. Adam's Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, 1941 is just perfection. He worked very hard to capture the image, print it. Perfection.

Painting, dance, sculpture, music. Virtually any art form has instances we can enjoy at our highest abilities. Perfection for us to prize.

There is also perfection in daily life. Your town's best carpenter, electrician, plumber, waitress and janitor have had perfect days. Maybe no one noticed. Maybe they themselves did not, but perfection was part of their lives. They achieved such a high level of work that perfection was theirs, if briefly.

That is the way of it. Each of us live our lives and sometimes our lives are perfect. Some very few of us have days where our output for these perfect days is long remembered and cherished by others. Everyone benefits, sometime for centuries as in an enduring painting or piece of music.

However, perfection in any single moment of ones life is still perfection and we can KNOW this if we are open to it. We do not need to tell anyone, to brag. We just have this perfection and know our own lives have meaning and that IS what life is about don't you think?

No comments: